Back Pain Doctor Questions and Answers
If you are experiencing back pain, trust the professionals at Coastal Medical Integration to provide you with relief in Gulf Breeze, FL. For more information, call us today or request an appointment online.
The back is a complex structure made up of many bones, muscles, ligaments and tendons. When the back is experiencing pain, it can severely limit a person’s mobility and range of motion. Back pain is categorized into three areas: the upper, middle and lower back. There are many causes of back pain, such as sports injuries, herniated discs, auto accident injuries, overuse injuries and degenerative conditions. Thankfully, there are medical professionals who specialize in evaluating, diagnosing and treating back pain that can provide effective and long-lasting relief.
What are symptoms of back pain?
Back pain can have many symptoms, including:
- A dull aching sensation in the lower back
- An inability to stand up straight without pain
- Decreased range of motion
- Reduced ability to flex the back
- Inflammation or swelling on the back
- Persistent back pain, especially when lying down or resting does not help relieve pain
- Pain that shoots down the legs
- Pain that reaches below the knees
- Urinary incontinence or difficulty urinating
- Loss of control over bowel movements
- Numbness around the pelvic area
- Numbness around the buttocks
How can I tell if my back pain is serious?
Symptoms of back pain that are indicative of a more serious medical problem include the following:
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Numbness, tingling, or weakness in the legs
- Onset following trauma, such as a fall or injury to the back
- Intense, constant pain that gets worse at night
- Unexplained weight loss
- Throbbing sensation in the abdomen
- Inflammation or swelling, especially when accompanied by fever, redness
- Pain that does not improve with rest
What causes back pain in females?
There are several causes of back pain in females, the most common include:
- Hormonal imbalances
- Weight gain (especially in the abdomen)
- Spinal osteoarthritis
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
- Piriformis syndrome
- Degenerative spondylolisthesis
- Coccydynia (tailbone pain)
- Spinal osteoporosis fractures
How can I relieve my back pain?
There are many effective treatments for back pain. Which treatment is most effective will depend on the cause of the pain, its location and severity. Common treatments for back pain include:
Physical Therapy — Physical therapy can help back pain in the following ways:
- Retraining posture
- Testing the limits of pain tolerance
- Stretching and flexibility exercises
- Aerobic exercises
- Core strengthening
Mindfulness and Meditation — Mindfulness and meditation are proven to be effective at relieving many types of pain, including back pain. Intention setting and rhythmic breathing are known to markedly improve symptoms of pain and can be performed in almost any setting.
Diet — Some diets can cause inflammation, especially those high in processed foods, refined sugars and trans fats.
Lifestyle Modifications — Changes to lifestyle are important when managing and preventing pain. Especially when dealing with chronic pain, it is important to know your limitations and make the necessary adaptations. Paying attention to your body and learning to pace yourself not only helps your back feel better, it can also prevent the underlying condition from worsening.
Injection-based Treatments — Injections can be an effective way to manage back pain, such as trigger point injections.
Will chronic neck pain go away?
Chronic neck pain is defined as pain that is present in the neck for more than three months. Chronic cases of neck pain can typically be addressed with the proper treatment, with better results the earlier the condition is treated.
If you or someone you love is experiencing back pain, trust the back pain specialists at Coastal Medical Integration to provide you with relief. Our kind and compassionate professionals are experienced in treating back pain and can help address the underlying cause for long term results. Call us today to book an appointment. We serve patients from Gulf Breeze FL, Pensacola Beach FL, Navarre FL, Mary Ester FL, Milton FL, Pace FL, Cantonment FL, and Fort Walton FL. Looking forward to serve you!